Lately things have been tight financially for my hubby and I since my hubby is preparing to apply for dental school and we are both finishing up our last year as students at ASU. However, I will never give up my passion and hobby known as cooking, no matter how tight money gets. There are such things called inexpensive dinners, and this is one of them. Plus, was pretty quick to put together and much better than sloppy joes made with Mamwich brand sauce that I grew up on!
Cheesy Sloppy Joes
from 5 Dollar Dinners
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp minced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 4 slices provolone cheese (in place of this I used shredded Monterey Jack and it worked great)
- Brown the ground beef. (If you want softer green peppers, cook them with the ground beef.) Drain and let sit.
- In the same skillet, add the tomato sauce, minced onion, minced garlic, vinegar, mustard and brown sugar. Stir and let simmer over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Add the brown beef and (uncooked or cooked) green peppers and combine. Simmer over low heat for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Spoon the sloppy joe meat over the buns and top cheese. Let the warm sauce melt the cheese, or microwave.